A Personal View of Getting and Staying in Shape

I learned several years playing team sports will not last, there is always. If you want to get in shape and stay there, I had to find other fitness activities.

I grew up playing softball, football and basketball in the streets, parks and playgrounds in my neighborhood in the south of Chicago. I could do this all day, every day, without residual effects. I have never felt so much need for heating or stretching. I was never concerned about the use of shoes or proper clothing. I just went out there and started playing. Sleep well at night and I was ready to leave the next day.

Once I reached my 30th birthday, I was still playing team sports, but only a few times a week. He did not have the time or energy to do it every day. The risk of injury is increased and it became more difficult to find enough people my sports game of the age team.

It is this point that I realized I had to find another form of exercise to stay in shape. What I also noticed is that was not really in shape. Yes, I could play basketball for a couple of hours, no problem. He had always been a fast runner and has never been overweight. But he had never done anything to strengthen and tone my body. Whatever muscle tone that he had come naturally.

So at first I turned to run to get fit. I always loved running and I could do it whenever I could get into my busy schedule today. I read a few books on the subject, I bought shoes and appropriate clothing and left. I signed up for a 5K race to give me the motivation to get better, stronger. After several years, he had greatly improved my stamina and strengthened my lower body.

But I needed to work on the rest of my body. I needed to go to a health club where you could use machines and weights, exercises to vary my workouts. Running was always part of my routine, but the blows on the sidewalk 5 or 6 times a week was taking a toll on my lap.

So I went to a health club a few times a week and run a few times a week.

However, in recent months, I have found something I can do at home that will give me a great workout: hitting the sandbag. I bought a punching bag, a pair of boxing gloves and hand wraps. As Muhammad Ali said, I begin to "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." I get an excellent cardiovascular workout, improve my hand-eye coordination and balance. I still have a long way to go, but I'm having a lot of fun.

The bottom line is, you're never too old to get in shape Stay Fit. Find something you like and stick with it. Yes, there will be some pain and sacrifice, but the payoff will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment